Using Ionic Silver for Skin Benefits
Many people are not familiar with the germicidal properties of either colloidal silver or ionic silver, so this brief outline can help you learn how you can use ionic silver to inhibit the growth of bacteria on the skin.

The element silver has long been used as a anti-microbial. Historically, it has been used to preserve water and is still used in many water filtering systems or swimming pools today. Most of us own some type of food service, such as eating or serving utensils and tableware that is made with silver. It is used within some bandages and within ointments to prevent infection, and it's used to protect against eye infection, as with newborns. So, there are plenty of ways that we have incorporated silver into our daily lives that is common knowledge.

However, many people are not aware that silver, when broken down into microscopic particles, can also be of benefit in killing bacteria either within or on our bodies, or around our homes. Ionic silver (silver ions) can be used on the skin to ease the risk of infection, help with complexion problems, such as acne or fungus, or aid in the healing process of wounds, including insect bites. It can also work very well with curbing bacteria-related odors.

Briefly, colloidal silver oxidizes pathogens in a similar way as hydrogen peroxide, which has been referred to as a burst of oxygen when the silver particles come into contact with the bacteria. The particles attach themselves to the surface membrane of the bacteria, which disrupts the transfer of respiration and energy, essentially deactivating it, which in turn disrupts replication of the bacteria. A common description of how silver works has been written in this way: it kills single-celled organisms (bacteria and viruses) as it deactivates metabolism enzymes bacteria need to survive.

Colloidal silver (nanoparticle) is used as a dietary supplement to prevent or control many types of infections. Topically, ionic silver is used to kill bacteria. Since colloidal silver consists of particles, it has color, whereas ionic silver consists of ions, so is typically clear, or, if some colloidal silver is present, will have a light tint.

In our products, we use only natural preservatives, ionic silver being one of them. Besides using it directly on the skin, it offers great results when incorporated into skin care products. There are so many uses for ionic silver for personal hygiene, or any purpose in which curbing bacterial growth is needed, that it is impossible to mention them all.

Ionic Silver Test Here is a result of a simple test we made with some molding avocado ... two little clumps were set next to one another, with the one of the right being sprayed with some ionic silver.

This is an example of what our test looked like after a couple of hours. You can see that there is mold starting to form on the clump on the left. The main thing that was evident was the smell ... when placing one's nose next to the clump on the left, it had a foul odor of rotten avocado, whereas the clump on the right smelled more of avocado that had only been left out a short while ... not exactly fresh, but nothing like the other test result!

In 1920, colloidal silver was described as having a "germicidal action" that has the "advantage of being rapidly fatal to the parasites ... both bacterial and otherwise, without any toxic action on the host."
(Alfred B. Searle in his book "The Use of Colloids in Health and Disease")
Today, we are aware of the many benefits of colloidal silver and ionic silver, and understand that, when used responsibly, we can greatly benefit from their antibacterial properties.

Why Go Naturally?

Also, if you read our article entitled "Why Go Naturally?" you will further understand the dangers that some chemical antibacterials possess versus silver ... a mineral, not a chemical.






References: "Ag (silver) nanoparticles were found to be very stable, showed sufficient preservation efficacy against mixed bacteria and mixed fungi, and did not penetrate normal human skin."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20060498

"... the straightforward answer to the decade-old question is that the insoluble silver nanoparticles do not kill cells by direct contact. But soluble ions, when activated via oxidation in the vicinity of bacteria, do the job nicely."
http://news.rice.edu/2012/07/11/ions-not-particles-make-silver-toxic-to-bacteria-3/
Ionic silver, colloidal copper and colloidal gold can be used safely upon the skin. When using ionic silver on a regular basis, it is advised to occasionally allow for a lapse of usage for a day or two every so often to allow for bacteria level balance. If you experience allergic reactions to silver or gold jewelry, these products may not be suitable for you. In regard to the phenomenon (non-life threatening) known as argyria ... this is a rare skin condition that results from excessive exposure to, or, application of, silver, which can over-saturate skin tissues, causing skin to turn a bluish color. It is believed that gelatinous, saline, nitrate-based, or high particle content colloidal silver products can possibly cause this condition. The ionic silver we use in our products is created simply with the mineral and water and to our knowledge, has never caused any such condition.


Home
Information we share is not to be used to diagnose any skin conditions, nor it is a substitute for medical care provided by a licensed and qualified health professional. If you have serious skin conditions, please seek professional health advice.

Statements on this page have not been evaluated
by the U.S. Food and Drug Adminstration.


© 2011-2015 www.happy-go-naturally.com
~ All Rights Reserved ~